《走遍美国》听力素材(附音频 文本) | 练就纯正英语(U12-1)
你能听懂里面的对话吗?可以对照文本看一下自己的理解~
小听要说的是,提供的文本是英文版,无翻译,更方便大家靠自己能力去理解,遇到不理解的词汇自己动手去查一下,或许会帮助你学到更多词汇~
【故事梗概】
Grandpa 在家中起居室里等 Susan 来吃晚饭。他们见面后,Grandpa 和 Susan 讲到了打自己退休以后,每天都有很多时间不知道该如何打发……
【听力文本】
Grandpa: Is that you, Susan?
Susan: It's me, Grandpa.
Grandpa: Am I glad to see you!
Susan: And am I glad to see you! I am also glad to be here.
Grandpa: How are things?
Susan: I have been talking to a group of sales men since ten this morning, and I'm real exhausted.
Grandpa: Well, you look good. What's Harry doing tonight?
Susan: He and Michelle are visiting relatives in New Jersey today.
Grandpa: The rest of our family went to the movies. So it's just you and me, Susan.
Susan: It's nice to be alone with you, Grandpa. We don't get to see enough of each other.
Grandpa: Oh, I feel the same way, Susan. I miss seeing you. But to tell the truth, next time I'd like to go into the city and meet you there, instead of you coming here.
Susan: You don't need to do that, Grandpa.
Grandpa: Yeah, I do. I need to get out more. Well, I mean there's a lot to do around the house, and I love being here with the family, you know, but I'm restless. Since I retired, I've got extra time on my hands.
Susan: I understand, Grandpa.
Grandpa: I think you do. Frankly, I'd like to use my brain a little more.
Susan: Grandpa, you have so much energy and so many years of experience. There are probably a lot of places for you to work. Particularly in the construction field.
Grandpa: But at my age, I'm not looking for a full-time job. I'm retired. But I'm bored.
Susan: Well, there must be something. Maybe I can help.
Grandpa: Let's go into the kitchen, and maybe you can help me set the table.
Susan: Sounds good to me. What are we having?
Grandpa: I prepared lamb chops, mashed potatoes, and a tossed green salad to begin with.
Susan: Grandpa, you are a terrific guy!
[A little later, Grandpa and Susan are eating dinner in the kitchen.]
Susan: You're still thinking about something to do, aren't you? A job of some kind.
Grandpa: That's right. I've been thinking about it for weeks now. There must be some way to put my mind to good use.
Susan: We'll find a solution. A positive solution to your finding a way to use that wonderful mind of yours.
■
Since I retired, I've got extra time on my hands.
打从我退休以来,我手头有许多多余的时间无法打发掉。
time on my hands: 可以自由支配的时间,无法打发的时间。on one's hands常含有“必须自己承担或解决的负担”的意义。
■
I prepared lamb chops, mashed potatoes, and a tossed green salad to begin with.
我做了羊肉块,土豆泥,还有拌蔬菜色拉当头道菜。
lamb chops: 羊肉块。chop这里指(一块)排骨,肋条肉。
mashed potatoes: 土豆泥。
tossed green salad: 蔬菜色拉。
■
A job of some kind.
找个什么工作之类的。
some 在这里表示“某一种、未知的”,后面带单数可数名词。
■
There must be some way to put my mind to good use.
总该有个办法让我施展我的才能。
put my mind to good use: 施展我的才能。
Is that you, Susan?
是你吗,Susan?
It's me, Grandpa.
是我,爷爷。
Am I glad to see you!
我看到你真的很高兴!
And am I glad to see you!
我看见你才高兴呢!
I am also glad to be here.
我很高兴来这儿。
How are things?
近况如何?
I have been talking to a group of salesmen since ten this morning , and I'm real exhausted.
从今天上午十点起,我一直在与一群推销人员谈话,我实在是精疲力竭了。
Well, you look good.
嗯,你看起来蛮好的。
What's Harry doing tonight?
Harry 今晚做什么?
He and Michelle are visiting relatives in New Jersey today.
他和 Michelle 今天去 New Jersey 拜访亲戚去了。
The rest of our family went to the movies.
我们家的其余的人都去看电影了。
So it's just you and me, Susan.
所以这儿只有你和我,Susan。
It's nice to be alone with you, Grandpa.
很高兴单独与你在一起,爷爷。
We don't get to see enough of each other.
我们在一起的时间太少了。
Oh, I feel the same way, Susan.
噢,我也有同样的感受,Susan。
I miss seeing you.
我很想见到你 。
But to tell the truth, next time I'd like to go into the city and meet you there , instead of you coming here.
但是老实说,下一次我想到城里看你,而不是到这儿来。
You don't need to do that, Grandpa.
你不用这样,爷爷。
Yeah, I do.
不,我要这样。
I need to get out more.
我需要多出门去。
Well, I mean there's a lot to do around the house, and I love being here with the family, you know, but I'm restless.
我的意思是这屋里有很多事可做,而我也喜欢和家人在一起,你知道的,但我闲不住。
Since I retired, I've got extra time on my hands.
自从我退休以后,我有过多空闲时间。
I understand, Grandpa.
我能体会,爷爷。
I think you do.
我想你能体会。
Frankly, I'd like to use my brain a little more.
坦白地说,我想多用用我的脑子。
Grandpa, you have so much energy and so many years of experience.
爷爷,你精力这么好又有这么多年的经验。
There are probably a lot of places for you to work , particularly in the construction field.
也许有很多地方可以让你去工作,特别是在建筑界。
But at my age, I'm not looking for a full-time job.
但是像我这般年纪,我不会去找一个上全天班的工作。
I'm retired.
我退休了。
But I'm bored.
但我感到无聊。
Well, there must be something.
嗯,一定可以找到事做.
Maybe I can help.
也许我能帮忙。
Let's go into the kitchen, and maybe you can help me set the table.
我们到厨房去,也许你能帮我摆桌子。
Sounds good to me.
我来。
What are we having?
我们吃些什么?
I prepared lamb chops, mashed potatoes, and a tossed green salad to begin with.
我准备了羊肉,马铃薯泥,还有蔬菜色拉当头道菜。
Grandpa, you are a terrific guy!
爷爷,你真了不起!
You're still thinking about something to do, aren't you?
你还在想要找点事做,是吗?
A job of some kind.
一些工作。
That's right.
是的。
I've been thinking about it for weeks now.
为这事我想了几个星期。
There must be some way to put my mind to good use.
总会有办法让我发挥才能的。
We'll find a solution.
我们会找到解决的办法。
A positive solution to your finding a way to use that wonderful mind of yours.
一个能够让你施展你的学识的好法子。
Susan 建议爷爷去哪个行业?