你为什么问我吃不吃狗肉
Wednesday
Some Questions Asians Have for White People
1 “Why do you think every Asian person is Chinese? That's like me saying to a white person -Hey, you're English.”
为何你觉得每个亚洲人都是华人?就像我对一个白人说:“Hey,你英国人吧?”
2 “Why do you think a film or TV show is diverse just because there are one or two black people in it? We're here too.”
为什么你会觉得一个电视节目多样性就因为里面有一两个黑人?我们(亚洲人)也在这里。
diverse adj. K.K.[daɪ'vɝs] 多样的. 这里说的就是人种的多样。
3 Why are the awkward nerd characters are the only roles available for Asians in film?
为什么电影里那些书呆子形象总是出现在亚洲人身上?
nerd n. K.K.[nɝd] 书呆子其实,这个词很多时候是没有贬义的,在学校好好学习的好学生,就是nerd。
4 “Why do you think that watching Korean dramas and K-Pop makes you an expert on Korean culture? Does me watching Girls make me an expert in white culture?”
你为什么觉得看韩剧和韩国流行音乐会让你成为韩国文化专家?就像我看《都市女孩》好像会让我成为一个白人文化专家一样?
K-pop adj. n. ['kepɑp] 韩国流行音乐韩星就叫K-pop star。
5 “Why do you cast white people to play roles that are meant for Asian people?”
“为什么你们会用白人演员去演那些本该亚洲人演的角色?”
这里有个专业术语:whitewash v. 洗白['waɪtwɑʃ] whitewash就是比如花木兰拍电影,这是中国人的角色,但是去让白人演员去演,这就叫whitewash
E.g. Disney has a tradition of whitewhashing characters.
迪士尼有给角色洗白的传统。
6 “Why do you think saying namaste is an appropriate way to greet me?”
你为什么觉得用"namaste"(印度语“你好”)来给我打招呼就很合适?
namaste K.K.[nəməsˈte] 有礼了。这个词呢,在瑜伽馆用来跟人打招呼是非常合适的,但是不要看到像是印度人就去用哦,人家可能是巴基斯坦人(印度死对头)。
7 “Why do you think nihao is a good thing to say to us? If you're not actually going to converse with me in Chinese, I don't need to hear it.”
你为什么觉得跟我说“你好”我就会喜欢?如果你没打算用中文跟我对话的话,我根本就不想听。
converse v. [kən'vɝs] 对话这个词是不是特别熟?这个就是conversation的动词呀!
converse with somebody 和...对话
8 “Why do you think I eat dogs? I have two dogs!”
你为什么觉得我要吃狗肉?我有两条狗!
(...这一条宝宝也中过枪,被歪果仁问过吃不吃狗肉。)
9 “Why do you think that Hindi and Hindu are the same thing?”
你为什么觉得“印度的”和“印地语”是一回事?
Hindu adj. K.K.['hɪndu] 印度的,印度教的
Hindi n. K.K. ['hɪndi] 印地语(印度官方语言)
拓展: Hinduism ['hɪnduɪzəm] n. 印度教
10 “Why are you so surprised that I can speak English well? I was born in America!”
为什么我英语说得好会让你这么吃惊?我出生在美国!
好多人惊叹陈冠希和王力宏的英文好......王力宏是美国人,陈冠希是加拿大人,要惊叹也应该是惊叹他们的中文好才对吧。
11 “Why do you always ask me-where are you really from? -Because obviously I'm from my mom's vagina.”
你怎么总问我“你到底来自哪里”,很明显是我妈子宫里面来的。
12 “Why do you guys think it's okay to call me an immigrant or a foreigner? I was born in America!”
你们为什么觉得叫我“移民”或“外国人”很OK?我出生在美国!
13 “Why do you think Indians aren't Asians? India is literally in Asia.”
你为什么觉得印度人就不是亚洲人?印度就在亚洲啊!
你知道吗,在美国看来,亚洲人一般就是说的中国人,日本人,韩国人,东南亚人,没有包括印度人。在英国人看来,亚洲人就是印度人,中国人,巴基斯坦人,泰国人等。
14 “Why do you say it's basically the same thing when I tell you I'm from Sri Lanka and not India? They're different countries.”
当我说我来自斯里兰卡,而不是印度的时候,你为什么就要说他们俩是一回事?这是两个不同的国家!这是两个不同的国家!
15 “Why does a person of color automatically mean "black" to you? I'm a person of color too.”
为什么你会自动地把有色人种理解成黑人?我也是个有色人。
person of color或者说colored person,白人把不是白人的人种都叫colored(有颜色的)。
等等,谁没颜色?
这白人哥们儿说,我拿的是张白纸,我是这颜色的么?
16 “Why do you think all brown people are Indian?”
你为什么觉得所有棕色的人都是印度人?
17 “Why do you think you deserve a high five for pronouncing my name correctly?”
为什么你仅仅因为把我名字读对了就值得击掌庆祝?
这么说有道理唉,把别人的名字读对不是应该的么?
high five 击掌
18 “Why do you think including diversity in the workplace reduces the quality of work? I thought you thought we were all nerds.”
你为什么觉得办公室里有有色人就会降低工作质量?你们不都觉得我们是工作狂吗?
19 “Why do you think I can't see properly? Do you really think my eyes are that small?”
你为什么觉得我看不怎么清楚呢,你认为我眼睛真就那么小么?
20 Why do you keep trying to justify yellow fever? I don't know why they use fever for all these things, it's not a disease.
你为什么坚持要为“黄热病”这个说法辩护,我不懂为何什么都要用“病”来描述,这又不是病。
justify K.K.['dʒʌstəfaɪ] v. 证明…是正当的;替…辩护
e.g. He's trying to justify his wrong decision.
他在为他错误的决定辩护。
21 “Why are we being stereotyped as being cheap or stingy? Maybe I'm just cost efficient."
为什么老一套的认为我们廉价又吝啬,我也许就是性价比高呢?
cost efficient adj. 性价比高的,本轻利厚的
e.g. It's a cost efficient tool.
这是一个性价比高的工具。
22 Why do you think all Asian people are smart? I mean, when I was in high school there was a Korean valedict... No, actually there was an Indian valedictorian, uh no, wait, I guess you're right -Asians are smart!
你为什么觉得所有亚洲人都聪明?我意思是,在学校的时候都是学霸。那时候有一个韩国的学霸,哦不,事实上是一个印度学霸,哦不...等等,我觉得你是对的,亚洲人是挺聪明的。
valedictorian K.K.[vælɪdɪk'tɔrɪən] 告别演说者
valedictorian高中里面年级里成绩最好的学生。这个学生在高中毕业典礼的时候,要演讲一个告别致辞。
微信编辑器 构思编辑器
微信编辑器 构思编辑器
微信编辑器 构思编辑器
微信编辑器 构思编辑器
微信编辑器 构思编辑器
微信编辑器 构思编辑器
微信编辑器 构思编辑器
微信编辑器 构思编辑器
英音美音可以同时切换,对语音有非常尖锐的耳朵和灵活的舌头,能从中国人的角度,教你怎么把英语说地道,可以用西班牙语进行一般交流。20岁做工程师,环绕地球三圈。