【每日一练】the other way around
当别人表达了某个意见、看法或陈述某一事实时,你该如何用英文说明事实“恰恰相反”呢?
来学会以下这个地道的表达:
the other way around
这个习语原意用于表达“相反的方向”,比如行进的方向啊,拧紧或松开的方向,东西的位置、顺序等等,都可以用它来表达。
I think it should go on the other way round.
我觉得它应该是在另一边的。
You put the fork on the right and the knife on the left. They should be the other way around.
你把叉子放在右边,刀放在左边。应该是反过来的。
You can try to practice translating from English to Chinese and the other way around.
你可以尝试练习从英语翻译成汉语,再反过来。
而在口语中更为常用的意思是“相反的情形”,指与对方所述、所想、所理解的相反的情况,
Sometimes I cook and she does the dishes
and sometimes itis the other way around.
有时我做饭她洗碗,有时反过来。
A: She dumped you, didn’t she?
她把你甩了,是吗?
B: It’s the other way around. I dumped her!
恰恰相反!是我把她甩了!
A: I bet she’s grateful to you.
我敢打赌她肯定会感激你。
B: It’s the other way around.
恰恰相反!
A: You must be excited about leaving for America.
你对去美国一定很兴奋。
B: It’s the other way around.
I’m sad to leave my family here.
恰恰相反!离开家人让我感到难过。
英语流利的关键就在于掌握更多的类似的地道表达,而不是只会一个个单词往外蹦。每天坚持练习,要不了多久,你的英语会有明显变化!
Now it's your time to open your mouth and practice!
张开嘴巴练起来!
Have fun learning English!